Saturday, January 22, 2011

Don't Let Them Beet You Up

The curmudgeonly food writers at the Chicago Trib are at it again, trying to make us feel passé for liking beets.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/dining/sc-food-0121-dineout-beet-salad-20110120,0,103301.story

Chris Borrelli says, “Still, an overnight flowering of love for the beet feels pat.”.  Overnight?  I don’t think so!  I thought I hated beets until I had my first beet salad about 10 years ago in the Kendall College dining room.  They were small and red and yellow and striped, roasted to perfection, dressed with a light vinaigrette and incredibly flavorful.  Since then I’ve ordered beets almost every time I see them on the menu.  Not because they’re hip and trendy, but because they give a chef an opportunity to create their own spin on a malleable ingredient.  And because they’re found fresh at different seasons in different parts of the country including areas that have few fresh vegetable options for much of the year.  And because they pair well with a variety of ingredients including cheese and nuts, which are in abundance everywhere.  And  because they’re colorful and fun on the plate.  And because they taste good when done right.  Even the Trib article admits that they’re affordable and keep well.  How much do we like beets?  We’ve been known to have beet salad for dessert.

So what’s wrong with beets?  Well, apparently the fact that so many restaurants are doing flavorful, interesting things with them and making them more available to the eating public is a bad thing.  Is ubiquity a crime in the restaurant world?  Guess so.  Next thing you know, they’ll be taking bacon off the menu.

My favorite beet salad recently – Julian Serrano in the Aria Hotel, Las Vegas



Thrifty-Posh’s favorite – Zibibbo in Palo Alto, CA





1 comment:

  1. The Kitchen Gardeners may like your recommendations for which beets to grow besides Chioggia, I do. I've never met a beet I didn't like, but I know there are some memorable varieties worth planting. And the greens are edible too right?

    ReplyDelete